15A ncac 18c .0305 APPROVALS NECESSARY BEFORE CONTRACTING OR CONSTRUCTING
(a) No construction shall be undertaken, and no contract for construction, alteration, or installation shall be entered into unless the Department determines the system complies with G.S. 130A-317(c) and the Department issues the authorization to construct letter. This authorization shall be issued following completion and submittal of the Engineer=s Report and Water System Management Plan and approval of the engineering plans and specifications by the Department. Authorization to construct from the Department shall be valid for twenty-four months from the date of the letter. Authorization to construct may only be extended if the rules governing a public water supply and site conditions have not changed. The authorization to construct and approval letter for engineering plans and specifications from the Department shall be posted at the primary entrance of the job site before construction begins.
(b) Upon request, permission to drill test wells at approved sites in order to establish quality and quantity may be granted by the Department prior to completion and submittal of the Engineer's Report and Water System Management Plan and approval of engineering plans and specifications. All wells abandoned, either temporarily or permanently, shall be abandoned in accordance with 15A NCAC 2C .0113 (Well Construction Standards) and all local ordinances.
(c) Units of local government which have an adopted water system extension policy, upon submission to and approval of a copy of their policy by the Department, may be excluded from the requirements of submitting engineering plans and specifications for water main extensions, and that would not have adverse effect upon the existing system supply or pressure, provided the following requirements are met:
(1) Engineering plans and specifications for all such extensions shall be prepared by or under the direct supervision of an engineer licensed to practice in the State of North Carolina.
(2) All engineering plans shall be approved by the units of local government engineering department or its consulting engineers prior to the commencement of construction.
(3) The Department shall have approved the extension policy submitted by the unit of local government prior to construction commencing.
(4) The extension policy submitted for review and approval by the Department shall provide for establishing ownership, operation and maintenance of water system extensions, and shall constitute prior notice of proposed construction.
(5) Where design is to be based on a local government's standard specifications in lieu of written separate specifications for each extension project, the standard specifications shall have been previously approved by the Department.
(6) The local government shall have obtained from the Department a letter stating they have met the aforementioned requirement and are excluded from the requirement for submitting detailed engineering plans and specifications for each minor extension in keeping with the intent of this Rule.
(7) Where such minor additions or extensions have been made, an annual up‑to‑date plan of the entire system shall be submitted for review and approval by the Department.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A‑315; 130A‑317; P.L. 93‑523;
Eff. January 1, 1977;
Readopted Eff. December 5, 1977;
Amended Eff. July 1, 1994; September 1, 1990; September 1, 1979;
Temporary Amendment Eff. October 1, 1999;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2000.