15A NCAC 18C .0711 ALTERNATIVE FILTRATION TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES
A public water system may propose an alternative filtration treatment technology as provided in Rule .2003 of this Subchapter. The following conditions shall apply:
(1) The source waters shall be derived from WS-I, WS-II or WS-III watersheds and shall be protected from sources of pollution as determined from a sanitary survey in accordance with Rule .0202 of this Subchapter.
(2) The raw water quality standards and fluctuations shall be as specified in Rule .0710 Item (6) of this Section, except that the following maximum concentrations shall be allowed in the influent water to the water treatment plant: Turbidity - 20 NTU, coliform - 500/100 ml, fecal coliform - 50/100 ml, color - 20 CU.
(3) Off-stream pre-treatment/storage shall be provided as specified in Rule .0710 of this Section except that the raw water quality standards of Item (2) of this Rule shall be maintained in the water treatment plant influent water.
(4) If the Department determines that the proposed water treatment plant employs treatment techniques that are consistent with this Subchapter, a pilot study shall be conducted in accordance with Rule .0714 of this Section.
(5) If the pilot study demonstrates to the Department that the proposed water treatment plant can consistently produce water which complies with all requirements of this Subchapter, detailed engineering plans and specifications for the proposed plant and appurtenances shall be presented to the Department for review and approval prior to construction or letting a contract.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A-315; 130A-317; P.L. 93-523;
Eff. July 1, 1994.