(a) A pilot plant study proposal shall be submitted to the Department for approval before the study is conducted. The following conditions shall apply:
(1) An engineering report shall describe the proposed study and shall include the information and data to justify use of the particular plant to treat the source water;
(2) The proposed plant shall employ treatment techniques that are consistent with this Subchapter;
(3) The pilot plant shall be of the same design and operation as the proposed plant;
(4) A protocol for conducting the study shall be submitted which includes the duration, testing procedures, reporting procedures, plant scale and other factors which affect the proposed plant operation; and
(5) The study shall be conducted over a time sufficient to treat all worst case source water conditions expected through the year.
(b) Pilot plant finished water shall not be introduced to a public water system unless approved by the Department.
(c) When the proposed plant or pilot plant has been tested under worst case conditions on similar water and achieved 3.0 log removal of Giardia cysts and a maximum of 0.3 NTU turbidity levels 95 percent of the time in filtered effluent, the particular model plant may be proposed without on-site testing.
(d) The pilot plant shall comply with the provisions of Section .2000 of this Subchapter.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A-315; 130A-317; P.L. 93-523;
Eff. July 1, 1994;
Amended Eff. October 1, 2009.