16 NCAC 06D .0204 TEXTBOOK ADOPTION SCHEDULE
To ensure adequate time for the evaluation of textbooks presented to the SBE for adopted for use in the public schools, the Textbook Commission, the Department and the SBE shall adhere, to the extent practicable, to the following schedule on and after January 1, 1990:
(1) January. The Superintendent of Public Instruction will identify for the SBE all textbook contracts scheduled to expire during the next calendar year, and recommend whether such contracts should be renewed or new textbooks adopted the following year.
(2) March. The Superintendent will present for the SBE's approval a review of the curriculum requirements as prescribed in the Standard Course of Study and Competency Based Curriculum for the areas for which textbooks are scheduled to be adopted that year.
(3) April. The Superintendent will present for the SBE's approval the call letter and evaluation forms prepared by the Curriculum Review Committee for the textbooks scheduled for adoption that year. The Superintendent will forward approved call letters to publishers listed on the Textbook Company Register and will forward approved evaluation forms to the Textbook Commission.
(4) June. Textbook publishers will forward textbooks presented by publishers for adoption to the Textbook Commission and other recipients designated in the call letters.
(5) June 15 to August 1. The Regional Textbook Evaluation Advisory Committees will evaluate textbooks under the direction of the Textbook Commission.
(6) August and September. The Textbook Commission will review the recommendations of the Regional Textbook Evaluation Advisory Committees, and will prepare its recommendations to the SBE.
(7) October. The Textbook Commission will present its recommendations to the SBE. The SBE will adopt textbooks.
(8) November and December. Local school systems review adopted textbooks and identify textbooks to be ordered. Local school systems will place orders before March 1 of the next year.
History Note: Authority G.S. 115C‑89;
Eff. March 1, 1990.