17 NCAC 06C .0203         ANNUAL REPORTS

(a)  At the end of each calendar year, employers shall furnish wage and tax statements, Form W-2, to employees and Form NC-1099PS or NC-1099 ITIN to contractors from whom tax was withheld.  Federal Form 1099-MISC may be filed in lieu of Form NC-1099 PS or NC-1099 ITIN if it reflects the amount or North Carolina income tax withheld.  Two copies shall be furnished to the employee or contractor and one copy shall be furnished to the Department.  Pension payers shall report pension income and State tax withheld on federal Form 1099-R.

(b)  Form NC-1099 PS, NC-1099 ITIN, NC-1099 NRS, and any federal report of Form 1099-MISC or 1099-R shall be filed with North Carolina; however, other reports of 1099 information (interest, rents, premiums, dividends) shall not be filed with North Carolina unless the payments have not been reported to the Internal Revenue Service.

(c)  Notwithstanding Paragraph (b) of this Rule, any person required to file Form NC-1099 NRS under the provisions of 17 NCAC 06B .3906 shall do so regardless of any requirement to report the sale to the Internal Revenue Service.


History Note:        Authority G.S. 105-154; 105-163.2; 105-163.2A; 105-163.3; 105-163.7; 105-262;

Eff. February 1, 1976;

Amended Eff. September 1, 2008; February 1, 2005; April 1, 2001; August 1, 1998; June 1, 1993; February 3, 1992; October 1, 1991; February 1, 1991;

Readopted Eff. May 1, 2016.