18 NCAC 06A .1702 APPLICATION FOR INVESTMENT ADVISER REGISTRATION/NOTICE FILING FOR INVESTMENT ADVISER COVERED UNDER FEDERAL LAW
(a) The application for initial registration as an investment adviser pursuant to Section 78C‑17(a) of the Act shall be made by completing Form ADV (Uniform Application for Investment Adviser Registration) (17 C.F.R. 279.1) in accordance with the form instructions and by filing the form with IARD (the Investment Adviser Registration Depository). The initial application shall also include the following:
(1) Proof of compliance by the investment adviser with the examination requirements of Rule .1709;
(2) Such financial statements as set forth in Rule .1708, including at the time of application, a copy of the balance sheet for the last fiscal year, and if such balance sheet is as of a date more than 45 days from the date of filing of the application, an unaudited balance sheet prepared as set forth in Rule .1708 as of a date within 45 days of the date of filing;
(3) Evidence of compliance with the minimum financial requirements of Rule .1704;
(4) A copy of the surety bond required by Section 78C‑17(e), if applicable upon request of the Administrator;
(5) The fee required by Section 78C‑17(b) of the Act; and
(6) Any other information the administrator may from time to time require which is relevant to the applicant's qualifications to engage in the business of acting as an investment adviser.
(b) The application for annual renewal of registration as an investment adviser shall be filed with IARD and shall include the following:
(1) A copy of the surety bond required by Rule .1705, if applicable upon request of the Administrator; and
(2) The fee required by Section 78C‑17(b) of the Act.
(c) Updates and amendments to the ADV shall be subject to the following requirements:
(1) An investment adviser must file with IARD, in accordance with the instructions in the Form ADV, any amendments to the investment adviser's form ADV;
(2) An amendment shall be considered to be filed promptly if the amendment is filed within 30 days of the event that requires the filing of the amendment; and
(3) Within 90 days of the end of the investment adviser's fiscal year, an investment adviser must file with IARD an updated Form ADV.
(d) Registration becomes effective at noon of the 30th day after a completed application is filed or such earlier time upon issuance of a license or written notice of effective registration, unless proceedings are instituted pursuant to G.S. 78C‑19. The administrator may by order defer the effective date after the filing of any amendment but no later than noon of the 30th day after the filing of the amendment.
(e) An application for initial or renewal registration is not considered filed for purposes of G.S. 78C-17 until the required fee and all required submissions have been received by the Administrator.
(f) The registration of an investment adviser shall expire on December 31 of each year unless timely renewed.
(g) The notice filing for an investment adviser covered under federal law pursuant to G.S. 78C-17(a1) shall be filed with IARD on an executed Form ADV. A notice filing of an investment adviser covered under federal law shall be deemed filed when the fee required by G.S. 78C-17(c) and the Form ADV are filed with and accepted by IARD on behalf of the State.
(h) Notice filings for investment advisers covered under federal law shall expire on December 31 each year unless renewed prior to expiration. The renewal of the notice filing for an investment adviser covered under federal law pursuant to G.S. 78C-17(a1) shall be made by completing Form ADV in accordance with the form instructions and by filing the form with IARD. The renewal of the notice filing for an investment adviser covered under federal law shall be deemed filed when the fee required by G.S. 78C-17(b)(1) is filed with and accepted by IARD on behalf of the State.
(i) Until IARD provides for the filing of Part 2 of Form ADV, the Administrator shall deem filed Part 2 of Form ADV if an investment adviser covered under federal law provides, within five days of a request, Part 2 of Form ADV to the Administrator. Because the Administrator deems Part 2 of the Form ADV to be filed, an investment adviser covered under federal law is not required to submit Part 2 of Form ADV to the Administrator unless requested.
History Note: Authority G.S. 78C‑16(b); 78C-16(d); 78C‑17(a); 78C-17(a1); 78C‑17(b); 78C-17(b1); 78C‑17(e); 78C‑18(d); 78C‑19(a); 78c-20; 78C‑30(a); 78C‑30(b); 78C‑30(c); 78C‑30(d); 78C‑46(b);
Temporary Rule Eff. January 2, 1989, for a period of 180 days to expire on June 30, 1989;
Eff. February 1, 1989;
Temporary Amendment Eff. October 1, 1997;
Amended Eff. August 1, 1998;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 14, 2002;
Amended Eff. April 1, 2003;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. December 6, 2016.