18 NCAC 07B .0904 COMPLETE AND LAWFUL NOTARIAL ACT VIOLATIONS
(a) The Director may take disciplinary action against a notary for an offense relating to failure to meet the statutory requirements for a notarial act.
(b) Offenses relating to failure to meet the statutory requirements for a complete and lawful notarial act include:
(1) Incomplete attestation;
(2) Improper acknowledgment language;
(3) Incorrect signature;
(4) Incorrect expiration date;
(5) Failure to administer an oath or affirmation;
(6) Failure to verify identification;
(7) Failure to require personal appearance;
(8) Notarization of a document in which the notary is a named, interested, or signed party;
(9) Notarization of a "non-signature" or a copy of a signature;
(10) Charging a fee in excess of that which is set by law, including fees for mileage or travel;
(11) Acting as a notary when not commissioned;
(12) Unauthorized use of a seal.
History Note: Authority G.S. 10B-2; 10B-14(f); 10B-60;
Eff. April 1, 2007;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. December 6, 2016.