18 NCAC 07C .0502 CRITERIA FOR APPROVAL OF ELECTRONIC NOTARY SOLUTION PROVIDERS
Each applicant and each approved electronic notary solution provider shall:
(1) Provide a free and readily available viewer/reader so as to enable all parties relying on the electronically notarized record or document to view the electronic notary signature and the electronic notary seal without incurring any cost;
(2) Comply with the laws, policies, and rules that govern North Carolina notaries;
(3) Provide an electronic notarization system or solution that complies with the technical specifications of the rules and standards that govern electronic notarization processes and procedures in North Carolina;
(4) Require such of the provider's principals or employees to take the mandatory electronic notary education course online and pass the required examination as is necessary to ensure the provider possesses sufficient familiarity with North Carolina's electronic notary laws and requirements;
(5) Require notaries to present the NC Secretary of State's Electronic Notary Certificate to Perform Electronic Notary Acts prior to authorizing an electronic notary seal and signature;
(6) Verify the authorization of a North Carolina notary to perform electronic notary acts by logging on to the Department's website and comparing the name, notary commission number and commission expiration date with the information on the Electronic Notary Certificate to Perform Electronic Notary Acts prior to authorizing an electronic notary seal and signature;
(7) Provide prorated fees to align the usage and cost of the electronic notary system or solution with the commission term limit of the electronic notary purchasing the electronic notary seal and signature;
(8) Suspend the use of any electronic notarization system or solution for any notary whose commission has been revoked or suspended by the North Carolina Secretary of State; and
(9) Submit an exemplar of the electronic notary signature and the electronic notary seal to the Department for each electronic notary who subscribes to the provider's electronic notary solution.
History Note: Authority G.S. 10B-125(b); 10B-126(d); 47-16.5; 47‑16.7; 147-36; 15 USC 7002;
Eff. January 1, 2007;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. December 6, 2016.