Maintenance funds shall be used to keep a road or highway in its existing condition and traffic carrying capacity.  Construction funds shall be used in improving the road or highway so that its traffic carrying capacity is improved or increased.  Some examples are listed below:

(1)           Roadway Maintenance

(a)           mowing shoulders and right of way;

(b)           pulling or cleaning of roadway and drainage ditches;

(c)           cutting down shoulders and uniforming slopes;

(d)           machining unpaved roads;

(e)           adding surfacing material 2 inches or less in thickness on unpaved roads;

(f)            placing of dust laying materials;

(g)           patching pavements;

(h)           resurfacing 1‑1/2 inches or less in thickness on paved roads;

(i)            snow and ice removal;

(j)            storm clean‑up;

(k)           replacing existing pipe culverts whether same size or not;

(l)            patching or replacing floors, rails or individual stringers on timber bridges;

(m)          placing of driveway pipe purchased by property owner.

(2)           Landscape Maintenance

(a)           periodic selective cutting on right of way,

(b)           periodic replanting or fertilization of shoulders and slopes,

(c)           maintenance of litter cans, picnic tables and rest areas.

(3)           Traffic Services Maintenance

(a)           maintenance of traffic control equipment including traffic signals, flashers, and special signaling devices and their related equipment such as signal heads, cabinets, detectors, and any other auxiliary equipment;

(b)           maintenance and replacement of signs, including posts and hardware;

(c)           installation of new signs when not otherwise provided for;

(d)           re‑marking pavements, including center lines, lane lines, edge lines, pavement symbols and messages, stop bars, crosswalks, etc;

(e)           new pavement markings when not otherwise provided for;

(f)            maintenance and replacement of traffic channelization devices, traffic islands and curbing;

(g)           installation of spot traffic channelization devices, traffic islands and curbing.

(4)           Roadway Construction

(a)           adding surfacing material over 2 inches in thickness on unpaved roads;

(b)           resurfacing over 1‑1/2 inches in thickness on paved roads;

(c)           widening unpaved roads;

(d)           widening existing pavement or shoulders;

(e)           widening or strengthening bridges or box culverts, extension of pipe culverts for widened roadways;

(f)            construction or rebuilding of bridges;

(g)           placing of pipe culverts on improvement projects;

(h)           placing of storm drainage on existing roadways;

(i)            construction of curb and gutter;

(j)            all work and materials in the widening, improvement  or relocation of a road;

(k)           state's part in participation paving which allows adjacent property owners to contribute to the cost of paving or other improvement.

(5)           Landscape Construction

(a)           initial seeding of improvement or new road construction,

(b)           initial selective cutting,

(c)           construction of rest areas or the addition of major facilities.

(6)           Traffic Services Construction

(a)           initial traffic signal installation and all other electrically operated traffic control devices;

(b)           replacement of traffic signal controllers and any other major components of an electrically operated traffic control device;

(c)           initial installation of signs;

(d)           initial installation of pavement markings;

(e)           channelization at intersections, traffic channelization devices, traffic island and curb projects which are considered a construction project;

(f)            pavement widening for additional travel or turning lanes in connection with intersection improvements.

Note:  Where any of the above items in traffic services construction are involved as a part of a construction or improvement project, the work shall be charged to and funded from the same source as is applicable to the remainder of the project.


History Note:        Authority G.S. 136‑66.1; 143B‑346; 143B‑350(f); 143B‑350(g);

Eff. July 1, 1978;

Amended Eff. November 1, 1993.