(a)  On highways without any control of access, planting requests will be handled by one of three methods, as determined by the Division Engineer having jurisdiction in the county where the planting is proposed:

(1)           The requesting individual or organization can furnish funds for the plant materials with the Department of Transportation doing the planting and assuming maintenance of the planting.

(2)           The Department of Transportation can assume the project entirely, bearing the cost of plant materials as well as doing the planting and plant maintenance.

(3)           The proposal of the organization can be considered for inclusion in the highway planting program at a later date.

(b)  Requests for plantings shall be directed to the appropriate division engineer.


History Note:        Authority G.S. 136‑18(9); 136‑89.50; 136‑93;

Eff. July 1, 1978;

Amended Eff. November 1, 1993;

Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. September 6, 2016.