19A NCAC 02D .1002 DEFINITIONS
For purposes of rules in this Section, the following definitions shall apply.
(1) "Adoption" shall mean the agreement by an individual or group to pick up litter and trash from a specific section of highway right‑of‑way.
(2) "Adopt‑A‑Highway Program" shall mean the public participation program of the Department designed to assist in the control and reduction of litter on state‑maintained highway right‑of‑way.
(3) "Adopted Section" shall mean the portion, generally two miles in length, of state‑maintained highway right‑of‑way approved for adoption by volunteers.
(4) "Authorized Representative" shall mean, in the case of an adoption by a group, the group members acting on behalf of the group for the purpose of adopting a section of highway.
(5) "Department" shall mean the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
(6) "Program" shall mean the Adopt‑A‑Highway Program of the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
(7) "Program Director" shall mean the Director of Beautification Programs of the North Carolina Department of Transportation who has oversight responsibility for the Program.
(8) "Program Participants" shall mean the individuals or groups who have adopted sections of highways. Civic and non‑profit organizations, and commercial and private enterprises may be selected as groups for the purpose of adopting a section of highway.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143B-350;
Eff. November 1, 1991;
Amended Eff. November 1, 1993;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. September 6, 2016.