19A NCAC 02E .0612 MODIFIED VEGETATION CUT OR REMOVAL ZONE FOR OUTDOOR ADVERTISING
(a) In accordance with G.S. 136-133.1(a1), at the request of a selective vegetation removal permit applicant, the Department may approve plans for the cutting, thinning, pruning, or removal of vegetation outside of the cut or removal zone along acceleration and deceleration ramps. Upon approval of this modified cut zone, the conditions of the initial permit as set forth in Rule .0604 and Rule .0610 of this Section, in addition to the following requirements shall apply:
(1) the request for a modified vegetation cut or removal zone along acceleration or deceleration ramps shall be noted on the selective vegetation removal application at the time the application is submitted. The same application requirements as set forth in Rule .0608 of this Section shall apply to a modified vegetation cut or removal zone request.
(2) the application shall include a diagram of the modified cut zone request to indicate the relocated point A to point D line and the relocated point B to point E line. If the request includes removal of existing trees as defined in G.S. 136-133.1(b)-(e), the applicant may indicate the relocated points on the required site plan in lieu of a separate diagram. The applicant shall provide calculations showing that the total aggregate area of cutting or removal equals the maximum allowed in G.S. 136-133.1(a). The applicant shall mark the modified points A, B, D, and E, as applicable, at the site for review by the Department. Modified points A and B along the right-of-way boundary (or fence if there is a control of access fence) are to be marked with visible flagging tape. Modified points C, D, & E along the edge of the pavement of the ramp are to be marked with spray paint, including the actual distances. Such markings for a modified vegetation cut or removal zone under G.S. 136-133.1(a1) shall represent and equal the maximum cut or removal area along the surface of the ground allowed in G.S. 136-133.1(a).
(3) the Department may authorize a one-time modification of the maximum vegetation cut or removal zone for each requested sign face when the view to the outdoor advertising sign face will be improved. The modified area of vegetation cutting or removal shall cause the point A to point D line and the point B to point E line as set forth in G.S. 136-133.1(a) to be relocated as long as the total aggregate area of cutting or removal does not exceed the maximum allowed for the defined cut or removal zone in G.S. 136-133.1(a). Points A and B shall always remain on the right-of-way line and points D and E shall always remain on the edge of the pavement of the ramp. G.S. 136-133.1(g) regarding cutting vegetation from the private property side along a controlled access fence shall remain applicable from relocated point A of the modified cut zone to relocated point B of the modified cut zone.
(4) the Department shall establish and document the modified cut or removal zone as the permanent view that shall not be altered for future selective vegetation removal permits.
(5) If an outdoor advertising site has previously been cut under a valid selective vegetation removal permit, in accordance with G.S. 136-93(b), to the extent that the requirement of not exceeding the total aggregate area of cutting or removal allowed in G.S. 136-133.1(a) cannot be met, the applicant may apply for a modified cut or removal zone no sooner than one year after the most recent cutting activity at the site. Within the one year period, the applicant may, to the extent that the maximum cut or removal zone defined in G.S. 136-133.1(a) was not previously cut, apply that uncut area towards determining the limits of the one-time modified cut request as defined in G.S. 136-133.1(a1) and the rules of this Subchapter.
(6) Should the outdoor advertising structure subject to a modified cut or removal zone for a selective vegetation removal permit be sold or transferred, the new owner or outdoor advertising permit holder shall be subject to G.S. 136-133.1(a1), and the rules of this Subchapter and shall not alter the modified cut zone as established and documented for a previous sign owner or permit holder.
(7) Upon denial or conditioning by the Department of Transportation of a modified vegetative cut or removal zone under G.S. 136-133.1(a1), the applicant may file an appeal pursuant to G.S. 136-133.3.
History Note: Authority G.S. 136-18(5); 136-18(7); 136-18(9); 136-93; 136-93.2; 136-130; 136-133.1; 136-133.1 (a1); 136-133.2; 136-133.3; 136-133.4; 136-133.5; 136-127;
Eff. January 1, 2015.