19A NCAC 02E .1003 ADMINISTRATION OF PROGRAM
(a) The responsibilities and execution of duties of implementing and carrying out the goals of the Scenic Byway/Highway program are vested in the Division of Highways (DOH) of the NCDOT. The DOH is authorized:
(1) to plan, design, and develop the Scenic Byway/Highway System and Program;
(2) to develop and make recommendations, including routes to be designated or removed, to the Board of Transportation on the organization and operation of the Scenic Byway/Highway Program;
(3) to support the protection of historical, cultural, natural and aesthetic resources in areas adjacent to the highway.
(b) Other administrative duties which shall be conducted by the Department are:
(1) to compose and provide application forms for proposed Scenic Byway/Highway locations and for removal of Scenic Byway/Highway locations from the system;
(2) to coordinate and manage Scenic Byway/Highway system signing;
(3) to annually review and file a report by February 1 each year with the Secretary of Transportation on the existing Scenic Byways/Highways in the system and those highways offered for both designation and removal in the system;
(4) to oversee interaction between the Department of Transportation and public/private entities interested in the development or management of the State Byway/Highway system;
(5) to develop and make available to the public interpretive information about the Scenic Byways and Highways.
History Note: Authority G.S. 136‑18(5); 136‑122 through 136‑125; 136‑129.2; 143B‑348;
Eff. March 1, 1995;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. September 6, 2016.