19A NCAC 02E .1103 LOCATION OF TODS
The Department shall control the erection and maintenance of official signs giving specific information of interest to the traveling public in accordance with following criteria:
(1) The Department shall limit the placement of TODS panels to highways other than fully controlled access highways that are either in rural unincorporated areas or in towns or cities with a population of less than 40,000.
(2) The Department shall only erect panels at intersections (at-grade). An at-grade intersection is an intersection which is controlled by stop signs or traffic signals. Trailblazers shall be installed when an attraction is not located on a state highway and further direction is needed to guide the tourist from the intersection to the attraction.
(3) Panels shall be located in a manner to take advantage of natural terrain and to have the least impact on the scenic environment.
(4) A separate sign panel shall be provided on the intersection approach for each eligible attraction. Panels shall be allowed in each direction only when lateral spacing is available. The number of TODS panels shall not exceed a total of six per approach with only one attraction name on each TODS panel.
(5) The center of the mainline TODS intersection shall not be more than five driving miles from the eligible attraction and shall not be placed where prohibited by local ordinance.
(6) If an attraction is not directly on a State highway, it is eligible for TODS panels only if both of the following requirements are met:
(a) It is located on a street that directly connects with a state maintained road.
(b) It is located so that only one TODS Trailblazer, placed on a state maintained road, will lead the tourist to the attraction.
(7) Sign panels shall not be placed immediately in advance of the attraction if its on-premise advertising signs are readily visible from the highway.
(8) TODS panels shall be located at least 200 feet in advance of the main intersection. Signs shall be spaced at least 200 feet apart and at least 200 feet from other traffic control devices. TODS panels shall not be located more than one-half (0.5) mile from the center of the main intersection and shall not be placed in the signing sequence for any other prior intersections.
(9) Existing warning, regulatory, guide or other official highway signs shall take precedence over TODS.
History Note: Authority G.S. 136-89.56; 136-130; 136-140.15; 136-140.16; 136-140.17; 136-140.18; 136-140.17; 136-140.18; 136-140.19; 143B-346; 143B-348; 143B-350(f);
Temporary Adoption Eff. January 1, 2003;
Eff. August 1, 2004.