19A NCAC 03D .0524 INSPECTION STICKERS
(1) Licensed safety equipment or safety equipment exhaust emission inspection stations and self-inspectors shall procure stickers from the Division of Motor Vehicles and from no other source.
(2) Orders for stickers shall be placed with a local agent of the Enforcement Section. Requests for stickers shall be accompanied by proper remittance. For safety equipment inspection stickers the amount of one dollar ($1.00) per sticker shall be required. For safety equipment exhaust emission stickers, two dollars and forty cents ($2.40) per sticker shall be required. Orders for windshield stickers shall be placed in units of 50. Orders for motorcycles/trailers and non-windshield safety equipment exhaust emission inspection stickers shall be placed in units of ten. Safety Equipment or Safety Equipment Exhaust Emission Windshield Inspection Stickers shall be issued in books of 50.
(3) Orders placed in person at the local office of the Enforcement Section shall be accompanied by written authorization from the station to which the stickers are to be issued, upon forms furnished by the Division, if the order is placed by other than the person in whose name the station is licensed.
(4) All licensed stations shall keep inspection stickers and numeral inserts on hand at all times.
(5) Licensed inspection stations and self-inspectors shall, upon request, be furnished forms required to be used by the rules in this Section. DMV Enforcement shall furnish forms to licensed inspection stations and self-inspectors.
(1) The inspection sticker shall be affixed only to vehicles inspected and approved in accordance with these Rules and G.S. 20, Article 3A, Part 2. Stickers must be affixed to approved vehicles within the inspection area of the inspection station by the person conducting the inspection. The number of the sticker shall be recorded on the receipt and statement. No person shall furnish, give, lend, or sell to any owner or operator of a motor vehicle or to any other person, or place in or on any vehicle an inspection sticker unless such vehicle has been inspected and approved in accordance with these Rules and G.S. 20, Article 3A, Part 2.
(2) When any motor vehicle to be inspected under the Safety Equipment Act bears a prior inspection sticker, such prior inspection sticker may not be removed from the vehicle until such vehicle has passed inspection, is approved, and is ready to have the new sticker affixed. If the vehicle being inspected is rejected, the old sticker is to remain affixed until the defects causing rejection have been corrected and the vehicle has been reinspected and approved. Every licensed inspection mechanic upon approving any motor vehicle shall remove the prior inspection sticker before affixing the new inspection sticker.
(3) An inspection sticker shall be placed upon the approved vehicle on the inside of the windshield at the bottom of the left side so that the left edge of the sticker is no more than one inch from the left edge of the windshield. For vehicles without windshields the motorcycle/trailer or non-windshield safety equipment or safety equipment exhaust emission sticker shall be used. The sticker shall be placed on the left side of the vehicle as near as possible to the front. Prior to affixing the windshield type sticker the inspection mechanic shall attach to the sticker the appropriate numeral inserts indicating the month and year of expiration. The inspection mechanic shall enter on the sticker in the appropriate spaces the date of inspection, the odometer mileage as taken from the vehicle at the time inspection is performed, the inspection mechanic's name, and the inspection station's license number. This information shall be entered on the windshield type inspection sticker with a ball point pen or a laundry marking pen. Glass/plastic windshields require a platform to prevent damage to the windshield. The inspection sticker shall be affixed to the platform; when the sticker is removed from the windshield it shall no longer be valid. Prior to affixing the motorcycle/trailer or non-windshield safety/emission sticker the inspection mechanic must punch the inspection sticker with a 1/4 inch punch indicating the month inspection performed and year of expiration.
(4) All safety equipment or safety equipment exhaust emission inspection stations shall be issued two types of stickers. The stickers shall be of different color and shall be affixed to the proper vehicle according to the type of inspection required.
(5) The following tables indicate month and year of inspection:
Month Number Inserts: Year Number Inserts:
1 vehicle inspected in January 95 vehicle inspected in 1994
2 vehicle inspected in February 96 vehicle inspected in 1995
3 vehicle inspected in March 97 vehicle inspected in 1996
4 vehicle inspected in April 98 vehicle inspected in 1997
5 vehicle inspected in May 99 vehicle inspected in 1998
6 vehicle inspected in June 00 vehicle inspected in 1999
7 vehicle inspected in July 01 vehicle inspected in 2000
8 vehicle inspected in August 02 vehicle inspected in 2001
9 vehicle inspected in September 03 vehicle inspected in 2002
10 vehicle inspected in October 04 vehicle inspected in 2003
11 vehicle inspected in November 05 vehicle inspected in 2004
12 vehicle inspected in December 06 vehicle inspected in 2005
(1) Licensed inspection stations and self-inspectors are strictly accountable for inspection stickers in their possession. Any licensed inspection station losing or not accounting for any inspection sticker shall be subject to revocation or suspension of inspection station license as provided by these Rules. Stickers shall be locked in a safe place to guard against loss or theft.
(2) Upon discovery of a loss or theft of any inspection stickers, station owners and self-inspectors must as soon as practicable report such loss or theft to the Enforcement Section, Motor Vehicles Building, 1100 New Bern Avenue, Raleigh, North Carolina, 27697. Oral reports shall be made upon discovery of loss or theft by the quickest means available to the local Enforcement Section Inspector.
(3) Inspection stations and self-inspectors shall not furnish, give, loan or sell inspection stickers to any other licensed inspection station or self-inspector.
(4) Inspection stickers shall not be transferred or reissued. They shall only be affixed to the vehicle as designated on the receipt and statement, and only when a complete inspection of the vehicle confirms it meets requirements for approval.
(5) Each inspection station and self-inspector shall protect stickers from larceny or damage. No refund shall be allowed for stolen, soiled, lost, or torn stickers and the count of the Division for returned stickers shall be accepted as final. All unused stickers must be accounted for. A refund shall be made for expired motorcycle/trailer stickers. A request for refund along with unused stickers must be mailed to the Enforcement Section, Division of Motor Vehicles, 1100 New Bern Avenue, Raleigh, North Carolina, 27697, between January 1st and January 31st of the following year. Refunds shall not be permitted for expired stickers postmarked after January 31st. Unused stickers for which a refund is not requested must be retained in a safe place until audited and destroyed by an agent of the Enforcement Section.
(6) All inspection supplies, unused stickers, copies of receipts and statements pertaining to the issuance of stickers, all bulletins and all forms issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles pursuant to the carrying out of the Motor Vehicle Inspection Program are the property of the Division of Motor Vehicles and shall be treated as such by any inspection station. Upon suspension or revocation of any safety equipment or safety equipment exhaust emission inspection station license or whenever any licensee voluntarily surrenders such license or ceases to do business, all items held by such licensee in carrying out the inspection shall be surrendered to the Division of Motor Vehicles. Such items shall be inventoried by the designated agent of the Division of Motor Vehicles and shall be receipted upon surrender. Refunds for unused stickers shall be made by check from the Division of Motor Vehicles in Raleigh.
(d) Requirement of records:
(1) Monthly report forms. Each licensed safety equipment inspection station and each licensed safety equipment self-inspector shall maintain at the station a monthly inspection report sheet listing the beginning and ending numbers for each series of stickers issued for vehicles inspected upon forms furnished by the Division. A total of all defects and repairs and charges listed on the receipt and statements shall be recorded in the appropriate column of the monthly inspection report. This report shall be completed in duplicate and the original forwarded to the Enforcement Section, North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, monthly on or before the 10th of the month following the month for which it was completed. The second copy shall be retained by the station for a period of at least 18 months.
(2) Receipt and statement. Licensed Safety Equipment or Safety Equipment Exhaust Emission inspection stations shall furnish the operator of each vehicle inspected the original copy of the "Receipt and Statement" indicating that the vehicle has been inspected and indicating thereon the items approved or disapproved. The second copy shall be retained by the inspection station for at least 18 months following the inspection.
(3) Records available. Each safety equipment or safety equipment exhaust emission inspection station shall maintain records required and such records shall be made available for inspection by any law enforcement officer, upon demand, during normal business hours.
History Note: Authority G.S. 20-2; 20-39; 20-183.6A;
Eff. October 1, 1994.