19A NCAC 03D .0541 EXHAUST EMISSION CONTROLS
(a) An exhaust emission shall not be approved if the vehicle is a 1968 year model or newer and any of the visible emission control devices placed thereon by the manufacturer are missing, disconnected, made inoperative or have been altered without approval of the Department of Environment, Health, and Natural Resources.
(b) If the unleaded gas restrictor on a vehicle manufactured after model year 1967 has been altered or removed a new or reconditioned catalytic converter and unleaded gas restrictor must be replaced before the vehicle passes inspection.
(c) An exhaust system shall not be approved if:
(1) The vehicle has no muffler.
(2) The muffler, exhaust or tail pipes have leaking joints.
(3) The exhaust or tail pipes have holes, leaking seams or leaking patches on muffler.
(4) The tail pipe end is pinched.
(5) The exhaust system is equipped with muffler cut-out or muffler by-pass.
(6) Any part of the system passes through the passenger compartment.
History Note: Authority G.S. 20-2; 20-39; 20-183.3(9);
Eff. October 1, 1994.