21 NCAC 02 .0109 DEFINITIONS
In addition to the statutory definitions in G.S. 83A-1, as used in these Rules, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Delinquent" is the status of a license registration that has not been renewed in accordance with 21 NCAC 02 .0213(b) for individuals and 21 NCAC 02 .0214(d) for firms.
(2) "Licensed" means holding a license to practice architecture in the State of North Carolina as defined by North Carolina General Statute Chapter 83A. "Registered" has the same meaning as licensed.
(3) "Fictitious name" is any assumed name, style or designation other than the proper name of the entity using such name. The surname of a person, standing alone or coupled with words that describe the business, is not a fictitious business name. The inclusion of words that suggest additional owners, such as "Company," "& Company," "& Sons," "& Associates," makes the name an assumed or fictitious name. For partnerships, the last name of all partners must be listed or the fictitious name definition applies.
(4) "Responsible control" has the meaning described in Rule .0206(d).
(5) "Firm" or "Architectural Firm" means any Professional Corporation or Professional Limited Liability Company approved by the Board and engaged in the practice of architecture.
(6) "Procurement" means purchasing or pricing of materials to construct a building or structure.
(7) Direct Supervision as used in North Carolina General Statute 83A means responsible control.
(8) "Continuing Competency" as used in North Carolina General Statute 83A-6(a)(5) means continuing education obtained post licensure that enables a registered architect to increase or update knowledge of and competence in technical and professional subjects related to the practice of architecture to safeguard the public's health, safety and welfare.
(9) "Health, safety and welfare" (HSW) as used in North Carolina General Statute 83A-6 (a)(5) means technical and professional subjects that according to these rules safeguard the public and that are necessary for the proper evaluation, design, construction and utilization of buildings and the built environment.
History Note: Authority G.S. 83A-6;
Eff. November 1, 2010;
Amended Eff. October 1, 2012;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. January 13, 2015.