section .0400 - EXPERIENCE
21 NCAC 08F .0401 WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OF CANDIDATES FOR CPA CERTIFICATION
(a) G.S. 93-12(5)c sets forth work experience alternatives, one of which is required of candidates applying for CPA certification. In connection with those requirements, the following provisions apply:
(1) the work experience shall be acquired prior to the date a candidate applies for certification; and
(2) all experience that is required to be under the direct supervision of a CPA shall be under the direct supervision of a CPA on active status.
(b) The following provisions apply to all candidates seeking to meet the work experience requirement of G.S. 93-12(5)c.3 by working in the field of accounting:
(1) One year of work experience is 52 weeks of full-time employment. The candidate is employed full-time when the candidate is expected by the employer to work for the employer at least 30 hours each week. Any other work is working part-time.
(2) All weeks of actual full-time employment are added to all full-time equivalent weeks in order to calculate how much work experience a candidate has acquired. Dividing that number by 52 results in the years of work experience the candidate has acquired.
(3) Full-time-equivalent weeks are determined by the number of actual part-time hours the candidate has worked. Actual part-time hours do not include hours paid for sick leave, vacation leave, attending continuing education courses, or other time not spent directly performing accounting services. For each calendar week during which the candidate worked actual part-time hours of 30 hours or more, the candidate receives one full-time-equivalent week. The actual part-time hours worked in the remaining calendar weeks are added together and divided by 30. The resulting number is the additional number of full-time-equivalent weeks to which the candidate is entitled.
(4) The candidate shall submit experience affidavits on a form provided by the Board from all of the relevant employers; provided that when such experience was not acquired while employed with a CPA firm, the candidate shall also submit details of the work experience and supervision on a form provided by the Board. Experience affidavits for part-time work shall contain a record of the actual part-time hours the candidate has worked for each week of part-time employment. Both the experience affidavit and the form for additional detail shall be certified by the employer's office supervisor or an owner of the firm who is a certificate holder.
(c) Rule .0409 of this Section applies to teaching experience acquired pursuant to G.S. 93-12(5)c.2 and 4.
History Note: Authority G.S. 93-12(3); 93-12(5);
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Readopted Eff. September 26, 1977;
Temporary Amendment Eff. June 17, 1982 for a period of 120 days to expire on October 12, 1982;
Legislative Objection Lodged Eff. July 20, 1982;
Amended Eff. February 1, 2011; January 1, 2006; August 1, 1998; March 1, 1990; July 1, 1989; December 1, 1988; September 1, 1988;
Readopted Eff. February 1, 2016.