21 NCAC 08N .0302 FORMS OF PRACTICE
(a) Authorized Forms of Practice. A CPA who uses CPA in or with the name of the business or offers or renders audits, reviews, compilations, agreed-upon procedure or engagement services performed in accordance with the standards in 21 NCAC 08A .0301(b)(5) in the public practice of accountancy to clients shall do so only through a registered sole proprietorship, partnership, Professional Corporation, Professional Limited Liability Company, or Registered Limited Liability Partnership.
(b) Authorized Ownership. A CPA firm may have an ownership of up to 49 percent by non-CPAs. A CPA firm shall have ownership of at least 51 percent and be controlled in law and fact by holders of valid CPA certificates who have the unrestricted privilege to use the CPA title and to practice public accountancy in a jurisdiction and at least one of whom shall be licensed by this Board.
(c) CPA Firm Registration Required. A CPA shall not offer or render professional services through a CPA firm that is in violation of the registration requirements of 21 NCAC 08J .0108, 08J .0110, or 08M .0105.
(d) Supervision of CPA Firms. Every North Carolina office of a CPA firm registered in North Carolina shall be actively and locally supervised by a designated actively licensed North Carolina CPA whose primary responsibility and a corresponding amount of time shall be work performed in that office.
(e) CPA Firm Requirements for CPA Ownership. A CPA firm and its designated supervising CPA shall be accountable for the following in regard to a CPA owner:
(1) a CPA owner shall be a natural person or a general partnership or a limited liability partnership directly owned by natural persons;
(2) a CPA owner shall actively participate in the business of the CPA firm; and
(3) a CPA owner who, prior to January 1, 2006, is not actively participating in the CPA firm may continue as an owner until such time as his or her ownership is terminated.
(f) CPA Firm Requirements for Non-CPA Ownership. A CPA firm and its designated supervising CPA owner shall be accountable for the following in regard to a non-CPA owner:
(1) a non-CPA owner shall be a natural person or a general partnership or limited liability partnership directly owned by natural persons;
(2) a non-CPA owner shall actively participate in the business of the firm or an affiliated entity as his or her principal occupation;
(3) a non-CPA owner shall comply with all applicable accountancy statutes and the rules as set forth in G.S. 93 and all rules in this Chapter.
(4) a non-CPA owner shall be of good moral character and shall be dismissed and disqualified from ownership for any conduct that, if committed by a licensee, would result in a discipline pursuant to G.S. 93-12(9); and
(5) a non-CPA owner shall report his or her name, home address, phone number, social security number, and Federal Tax ID number (if any) on the CPA firm's registration.
History Note: Authority G.S. 55B-12; 57D-2-02; 93-12(9);
Eff. April 1, 1994;
Amended Eff. February 1, 2011; January 1, 2006; April 1, 2003; April 1, 1999; August 1, 1995;
Readopted Eff. February 1, 2016.