21 NCAC 14J .0208 INTERNSHIPS
Schools and cosmetic art shops desiring to implement an internship program shall follow these requirements:
(1) Schools wishing to participate in an internship program must notify the Board of intent to implement a program before credit for an internship may be granted. Cosmetic art shops and student selection criteria must be submitted along with the notification.
(2) Schools shall report to the Board all cosmetic art shops contracted and students selected to participate in the program.
(3) Internships may be arranged in various time frames but shall never exceed 10 percent of a student's training period.
(4) Credit for an internship shall be granted upon submission of student hours verification based on a daily attendance record. Hours must be recorded on a form approved by the school.
(5) Students may be assigned a variety of duties, but client services are restricted. Cosmetology and natural hair care students may only provide shampoo services, manicurist students may only remove nail polish and esthetician students may only drape and prep clients. Cosmetic art shop violation of restrictions or school requirements may result in the termination of the internship contract and the loss of student training hours.
(6) Students must follow all cosmetic art shop employee rules and regulations. Violations of cosmetic art shop rules or any misconduct may result in dismissal of the intern or loss of training hours.
(7) A licensed teacher need not be in attendance during this internship.
(8) Students participating in the program shall not receive compensation for duties performed in the cosmetic art shop.
History Note: Authority G.S. 88B-4;
Temporary Adoption Eff. January 1, 1999;
Eff. August 1, 2000;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2010; August 1, 2002;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. January 13, 2015.