21 NCAC 14T .0302 Equipment for Cosmetology Schools
(a) The practice department in a cosmetology school shall be equipped with the following equipment:
(1) One manicure table and stool;
(2) One shampoo bowl and chair.
(3) Thermal styling equipment for the purpose of curling and straightening hair;
(4) Visual aids; and
(5) One mannequin practice table or stand to accommodate each student in the practice department.
(b) The clinic department in a cosmetology school shall be equipped with the following for up to 40 students in the department:
(1) 20 stations. Each station shall include one mirror, one electrical outlet, and one hydraulic chair;
(2) Four hooded floor type dryers and chairs;
(3) Four shampoo bowls and chairs.
(A) each side approach shampoo bowl shall be at least 40 inches apart, center of bowl to center of bowl;
(B) each free standing shampoo bowl shall be at least 31 inches apart, center of bowl to center of bowl;
(C) all other types of shampoo bowls shall be at least 31 inches apart, center of bowl to center of bowl;
(4) Two manicure tables and stools;
(5) One pedicure station that shall include a chair, a foot bath, and a stool; and
(6) One facial treatment table or chair and a stool.
(c) The clinic department in a cosmetology school shall be equipped with the following equipment if there are more than 40 enrolled advanced students:
(1) One station for each additional two students;
(2) One shampoo bowl for each additional 10 students;
(3) One manicure table and stool for each additional 15 students;
(4) One pedicure station for each additional 20 students; and
(5) One facial lounge or chair for each additional 40 students.
(d) Cosmetology schools that also offer the disciplines of esthetics, and manicuring shall be equipped with one additional station (as defined in this section per discipline) per five students and the equipment requirements specific to the discipline.
History Note: Authority G.S. 88B-2; 88B-4; 88B-16; 88B-17;
Eff. January 1, 2012;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. January 13, 2015;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2016.