21 NCAC 14T .0605 Manicuring Curriculum
(a) To meet the approval of the Board, a manicurist training course shall begin with infection control and blood exposure procedures as defined in 21 NCAC 14H .0403 and .0404 and consist of at least 300 hours of instruction in theory and practical application as set forth in this Rule.
(b) Theory and practical application subjects shall include:
(1) Manicuring theory;
(2) Infection control;
(3) First aid;
(8) Arm and hand manipulation;
(9) Sculptured and artificial nails (application, repair, fill, and removal);
(10) Pedicuring; and
(11) Styles and techniques for the care, treatment, and decoration of the following:
(D) Nail extensions and artificial nails;
(E) Electric file;
(G) Business management;
(H) Professional ethics; and
(I) Board laws, regulations and website.
(c) Performances shall be defined as the systematic completion of all steps for safe and effective cosmetic art services to a client. In addition to the requirements set forth in Paragraph (a) of this Rule all students shall be trained on the following performance requirements:
(2) Blood exposure procedure;
(3) Basic manicure;
(4) Basic pedicure;
(5) Nail tips;
(6) Acrylic overlay (application, repair, fill, and removal);
(7) Sculptured nails (application, repair, fill, and removal); and
(8) Gel overlay (application, repair, fill, and removal).
(d) Each school must develop and use performance evaluation plans for each of the Board required performances listed in this Paragraph. Evaluation plans must include a minimum of infection control, tool safety, draping, and safe application. Teachers must ensure students follow infection control, tool safety, and safe application of products for all service performances. Students must pass the infection control and blood exposure procedures evaluation plan with a score of 100 percent, received theory and practical instructions, and passed each of the following performance evaluations prior to performing services on a live model:
(1) Basic manicure with pedicure difference; and
(2) Sculptured nails including application, fill, and removal.
(e) Certification of performance completions shall be required on the graduation form and Board's application for the examination. Graduation forms shall include the following:
(1) Student name and social security number;
(2) School code;
(3) Course type completed;
(4) Date of course completion;
(5) Number of hours and minutes completed;
(6) School owner name and signature; and
(7) School seal.
History Note: Authority G.S. 88B-2; 88B-4; 88B-16; 88B-17;
Eff. January 1, 2012;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2015; August 1, 2014;
Readopted Eff. January 1, 2016;
Amended Eff. September 1, 2020; October 1, 2019.