21 NCAC 32R .0102 APPROVED CATEGORIES OF CME
(a) Category 1 CME providers are:
(1) Institutions or organizations accredited by the Accreditation Council on Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and reciprocating organizations;
(2) The American Osteopathic Association (AOA);
(3) A state medical society or association;
(4) The American Medical Association (AMA);
(5) Specialty boards accredited by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), the AOA, or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC;) and
(6) The Joint Accreditation for Interprofessional Continuing Education.
(b) Category 1 CME education shall be presented, offered, or accredited by a Category 1 provider as set forth in Paragraph (a) of this Rule and shall include:
(1) Educational courses;
(2) Scientific or clinical presentations or publications;
(3) Printed, recorded, audio, video, online, or electronic educational materials for which CME credits are awarded by the provider;
(4) Journal-based CME activities within a peer-reviewed, professional journal;
(5) Skill development;
(6) Performance improvement activities;
(7) Interprofessional continuing education; or
(8) Cultural competency or implicit bias training.
History Note: Authority G.S. 90-5.1;
Eff. January 1, 2000;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2012; July 1, 2007; January 1, 2001;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. March 1, 2016;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2022; September 1, 2020.