SUBCHAPTER 32W - ANESTHESIOLOGIST ASSISTANT REGULATIONS
21 NCAC 32W .0101 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions apply to this Subchapter:
(1) "Anesthesiologist" means a physician who has successfully completed an anesthesiology training program approved by the Accreditation Committee on Graduate Medical Education or the American Osteopathic Association or who is credentialed to practice anesthesiology by a Hospital or an Ambulatory Surgical Facility.
(2) "Anesthesiologist Assistant" means a person licensed by and registered with the Board pursuant to Rule .0102 of this Subchapter to provide anesthesia services under the supervision of a Supervising Anesthesiologist.
(3) "Anesthesiologist Assistant License" means the authority for the Anesthesiologist Assistant to provide anesthesia services under North Carolina law.
(4) "Board" means the North Carolina Medical Board.
(5) "Certifying Examination" means the Certifying Examination for Anesthesiologist Assistants administered by the National Commission for Certification of Anesthesiologist Assistants or its successor organization.
(6) "Primary Supervising Anesthesiologist" means the Supervising Anesthesiologist who accepts primary responsibility for the Anesthesiologist Assistant's professional activities, including developing and implementing the Anesthesiologist Assistant's Supervision Agreement and assuring the Board that the Anesthesiologist Assistant is qualified by education and training to perform all anesthesia services delegated to the Anesthesiologist Assistant.
(7) "Renewal" means paying the annual renewal fee and providing the information requested by the Board as outlined in Rule .0104 of this Subchapter.
(8) "Supervising Anesthesiologist" means an anesthesiologist who is responsible for supervising the Anesthesiologist Assistant in providing anesthesia services. A Supervising Anesthesiologist must be licensed by the Board, actively engaged in clinical practice as an anesthesiologist, and immediately available onsite to provide assistance to the Anesthesiologist Assistant.
(9) "Supervision" means overseeing the activities of, and accepting responsibility for, the anesthesia services rendered by an Anesthesiologist Assistant.
(10) "Supervision Agreement" means a written agreement between the Primary Supervising Anesthesiologist(s) and an Anesthesiologist Assistant that describes the anesthesia services delegated to the Anesthesiologist Assistant consistent with the Anesthesiologist Assistant's qualifications, training, skill, competence, and the rules in this Subchapter.
History Note: Authority G.S. 90-9.4; 90-18(c)(20); 90-18.5;
Temporary Adoption Eff. January 28, 2008;
Eff. April 1, 2008;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. March 1, 2016.