21 NCAC 36 .0320 STUDENTS
(a) Students in nursing programs shall meet requirements established by the controlling institution.
(b) Admission requirements and practices shall be stated and published in the controlling institution's publications and shall include assessment of:
(1) record of high school graduation, high-school equivalent, or earned credits from a post-secondary institution;
(2) achievement potential through the use of previous academic records and pre-entrance examination cut-off scores that are consistent with curriculum demands and scholastic expectations; and
(3) physical and emotional health that would provide evidence that is indicative of the applicant's ability to provide safe nursing care to the public.
(c) The number of students enrolled in nursing courses shall not exceed by more than 10 students the maximum number approved by the Board, as established pursuant to 21 NCAC 36 .0302(f) and 21 NCAC 36 .0321(k).
(d) The nursing program shall publish policies in nursing student handbook and college catalog that provide for identification and dismissal of students who:
(1) present physical or emotional problems which conflict with the safety essential to nursing practice and do not respond to treatment or counseling within a timeframe that enables meeting program objectives;
(2) demonstrate behavior which conflicts with the safety essential to nursing practice; or
(3) fail to demonstrate professional behavior, including honesty, integrity, and appropriate use of
social media, while in the nursing program of study.
(e) The nursing program shall maintain a three-year average at or above 95 percent of the national pass rate for licensure level pass rate on first writing of the licensure examination for calendar years ending December 31.
(f) The controlling institution shall publish policies in nursing student handbook and college catalog for transfer of credits or for admission to advanced placement and the nursing program shall determine the total number of nursing courses or credits awarded for advanced placement.
History Note: Authority G.S. 90‑171.23(b)(8); 90‑171.38; 90-171.43;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. December 1, 2016; January 1, 2006; August 1, 1998; January 1, 1996; June 1, 1992; January 1, 1989; January 1, 1984.