21 ncac 36 .0404 LISTING AND RENEWAL
(a) All nurse aide IIs, as defined in Rule .0403(b) of this Section, regardless of working title, employed or assigned in a service agency or facility for the purpose of providing nursing care activities shall be listed on the Board of Nursing Nurse Aide II Registry and shall meet the following requirements:
(1) successful completion of a nurse aide II program or its Board approved equivalent;
(2) GED or high school diploma;
(3) listed as a Level I nurse aide on the DHSR Nurse Aide Registry with no substantiated findings of abuse, neglect, or misappropriation of property; and
(4) submission of an application to the Board of Nursing for placement on the Board of Nursing Nurse Aide II Registry prior to working as a nurse aide II.
The application shall be submitted with the required fee within 30 business days of completion of the nurse aide II program. Application for initial listing received in the Board office shall show an expiration day of the last day of the birth month of the following year.
(b) Nursing students currently enrolled in Board of Nursing approved nursing programs desiring listing as a nurse aide II shall submit:
(1) An application fee; and
(2) A listing form completed by the nursing program director indicating successful completion of course work equivalent in content and clinical hours to that required for a nurse aide II.
(c) Registered nurses and licensed practical nurses who hold current, unrestricted licenses to practice in North Carolina, and registered nurses and licensed practical nurses in the discipline process by the Board of Nursing who do not have any findings as cited in G.S. 131E-256(a)(1) may make application as a nurse aide II.
(d) An individual previously enrolled in a Board approved nursing program leading to licensure as RN or LPN may list with no additional testing provided the student withdrew from school in good standing within the last 24 months and completed the equivalent content and clinical hours. Such individual shall submit listing form as described in Paragraph (b)(2) of this Rule. If the student was in good standing upon withdrawal from the school and withdrew from the school in excess of 24 months, the student must complete an entire nurse aide II program.
(e) Individuals who have completed a training course equivalent in content and clinical hours to the nurse aide II program, may submit documentation of same to the Board of Nursing for review. If training is equivalent, the individual may submit the application with required fee and be listed on the Board of Nursing Nurse Aide Registry as a nurse aide II.
(f) An employing agency or facility may choose up to four nurse aide II tasks to be performed by nurse aide I personnel without the nurse aide I completing the entire nurse aide II program. These tasks are individual activities which may be performed after the nurse aide has received the approved training and competency evaluation as defined in Rule .0403(b) of this Section.
(1) The agency may obtain the selected tasks curriculum model from the nearest Community College or the Board of Nursing.
(2) The Board of Nursing must be notified of the nurse aide II task(s) that will be performed by nurse aide I personnel in the agency and for which all Board stipulations have been met. The notification of nurse aide II task(s) form which may be requested from the Board office shall be used. Each agency shall receive a verification letter once the Board has been appropriately notified.
(3) Documentation of the training and competency evaluation must be maintained for each nurse aide I who is approved to perform nurse aide II task(s) within the agency.
(g) Each nurse aide II shall renew listing with the Board of Nursing biennially on forms provided by the Board. The renewal application shall be accompanied by the required fee.
(1) To be eligible for renewal, the nurse aide II must have worked at least eight hours for compensation during the past 24 months performing nursing care activities under the supervision of a Registered Nurse.
(2) Any nurse aide II who has had a continuous period of 24 months during which no nursing care activities were performed for monetary compensation but who has performed patient care activities for monetary compensation shall successfully complete the competency evaluation portion of the nurse aide II program and submit application in order to be placed on the Board of Nursing Nurse Aide II Registry.
(3) A nurse aide II who has performed no nursing care or patient care activities for monetary compensation within the past 24 months must successfully complete a nurse aide II program prior to submitting the application for renewal.
(4) A nurse aide II who has substantiated findings of abuse, neglect, or misappropriation of funds on the DHSR Nurse Aide Registry shall not be eligible for renewal as a nurse aide II.
History Note: Authority G.S. 90-171.19; 90-171.20(2)(4)(7)d,e,g; 90-171.37; 90-171.43(4); 90-171.55; 90-171.83; 42 U.S.C.S. 1395i-3 (1987);
Eff. March 1, 1989;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2010; November 1, 2008; August 1, 2005; August 1, 2002; July 1, 2000; December 1, 1995; April 1, 1990.