21 NCAC 36 .0802 SCOPE OF PRACTICE
A nurse practitioner shall be held accountable by both Boards for the continuous and comprehensive management of a broad range of personal health services for which the nurse practitioner is educationally prepared and for which competency has been maintained, with physician supervision and collaboration as described in Rule .0810 of this Section. These services include but are not restricted to:
(1) promotion and maintenance of health;
(2) prevention of illness and disability;
(3) diagnosing, treating and managing acute and chronic illnesses;
(4) guidance and counseling for both individuals and families;
(5) prescribing, administering and dispensing therapeutic measures, tests, procedures and drugs;
(6) planning for situations beyond the nurse practitioner's expertise, and consulting with and referring to other health care providers as appropriate; and
(7) evaluating health outcomes.
History Note: Authority G.S. 90-18(14); 90-171.20(7); 90-171.23(b)(14);
Recodified from 21 NCAC 36 .0227(b) Eff. August 1, 2004;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2004;
Readopted Eff. January 1, 2019.