21 NCAC 36 .0803 NURSE PRACTITIONER REGISTRATION
(a) The Board of Nursing shall register an applicant as a nurse practitioner who:
(1) has an unrestricted license to practice as a registered nurse in North Carolina and, when applicable, an unrestricted approval, registration or license as a nurse practitioner in another state, territory, or possession of the United States;
(2) has successfully completed a nurse practitioner education program as outlined in Rule .0805 of this Section;
(3) is certified as a nurse practitioner by a national credentialing body consistent with 21 NCAC 36 .0801(8); and
(4) has supplied additional information necessary to evaluate the application as requested.
(b) Beginning January 1, 2005, new graduates of a nurse practitioner program, who are seeking first-time nurse practitioner registration in North Carolina shall:
(1) hold a Master's or higher degree in Nursing or related field with primary focus on Nursing;
(2) have successfully completed a graduate level nurse practitioner education program accredited by a national accrediting body; and
(3) provide documentation of certification by a national credentialing body.
History Note: Authority G.S. 90-18(c)(13); 90-18.2; 90-171.20(7); 90-171.23(b); 90-171.83;
Eff. August 1, 2004;
Amended Eff. September 1, 2012; November 1, 2008; December 1, 2006;
Readopted Eff. January 1, 2019.