21 NCAC 36 .0803 NURSE PRACTITIONER REGISTRATION
(a) The Board shall register an applicant as a nurse practitioner who:
(1) has an active unencumbered license or privilege to practice as a registered nurse in North Carolina or compact state and, when applicable, an active unencumbered approval, registration, or license as a nurse practitioner in another state, territory, or possession of the United States;
(2) has completed a nurse practitioner education program as outlined in Rule .0805 of this Section;
(3) is certified as a nurse practitioner by a national credentialing body consistent with Rule .0801(8) of this Section; and
(4) has supplied additional information necessary to evaluate the application as requested by the Board on a case-by-case basis.
(b) Applicants who have graduated from a nurse practitioner program after January 1, 2005 who are seeking first-time nurse practitioner registration shall:
(1) hold a Master's or higher degree in Nursing or related field with primary focus on Nursing;
(2) have completed a graduate or post-graduate level nurse practitioner education program accredited by a national accrediting body; and
(3) provide documentation of certification by a national credentialing body.
History Note: Authority G.S. 90-18(c)(14); 90-18.2; 90-171.23(b); 90-171.95B;
Eff. August 1, 2004;
Amended Eff. September 1, 2012; November 1, 2008; December 1, 2006;
Readopted Eff. January 1, 2019;
Amended Eff. June 1, 2021.