21 NCAC 56 .0602 APPLICATION PROCEDURE: INDIVIDUAL
(a) General. A person desiring to become a Professional Land Surveyor must make application to the Board on a form prescribed and furnished by the Board.
(b) Request. A request for the application form may be made to the Board office or obtained from the website.
(c) Application Form. All persons applying to be licensed as a Professional Land Surveyor shall apply using the standard application form. This form requires the applicant to set forth personal background, plus educational background, land surveying experience, and references. A passport-type photographic quality portrait that shall be adequate for current clear identification purposes shall be required also.
(d) Supplemental Form. Persons who initially applied for licensure as a land surveyor, but were not eligible initially to be admitted to the examination for principles and practice of surveying, must supplement their initial applications upon ultimately applying for the second examination. The applicant must supplement the initial application by using the supplemental form, which requires the listing of land surveying experience from the date of the initial application to the date of the supplemental application. Five references shall be submitted which are current to within one year of the examination date.
(e) Reference Forms:
(1) Persons applying to take the examination for the fundamentals of surveying or the examination for principles and practice must submit to the Board names of individuals who are familiar with the applicant's work, character and reputation. The names are submitted by the applicant on the application form.
(2) Persons applying for the fundamentals of surveying examination must submit three references, one of which must be a Professional Land Surveyor. Persons applying for the principles and practice examination must submit five references, two of which must be Professional Land Surveyors.
(3) In addition to the applicant submitting names to the Board of such individuals, those individuals shall submit to the Board their evaluations of the applicant on reference forms supplied them by the applicant.
(4) The reference form requires the individual evaluating the applicant to state the evaluating individual's profession, knowledge of the applicant and information concerning the applicant's land surveying experience, character and reputation.
(5) The Board shall provide the reference forms to the applicant along with the application for licensure. The reference forms shall then be distributed by the applicant to the persons listed on the application as references. The applicant shall see that the individuals listed as references return the forms to the Board prior to the filing deadline for the examination applied for by the applicant.
(1) Regular. The application fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00) and appropriate examination fee for those applying for licensure based upon examination, experience, character and exhibit are payable with the filing of the application.
(2) Comity. The licensure fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00) and appropriate examination fee for those applying for licensure based upon comity are payable with the filing of the application.
(3) Examination. The examination fee for any applicant shall be payable with the filing of the application in accordance with G.S. 89C-14.
(g) The Board shall accept the records maintained by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) as evidence of licensure in another state. For comity licensure the NCEES record shall be accepted in lieu of completing the experience, education and references sections of the application. A comity application, with or without a NCEES record, shall be administratively approved by the Executive Director based upon evidence of current licensure in another jurisdiction based on comparable qualifications, required references, and having passed the two-hour North Carolina portion of the exam and no record of disciplinary action, without waiting for the next regular meeting of the Board at which time the action shall be reported to the Board for final approval.
(h) Personal Interview. During the application process, the applicant may be interviewed by Board members.
History Note: Authority G.S. 89C-10; 89C-13; 89C-14;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Readopted Eff. September 29, 1977;
Amended Eff. May 1, 2009; August 1, 2002; August 1, 2000; August 1, 1998; May 1, 1994; April 1, 1989; January 1, 1982.