21 NCAC 64 .0213 Supervision of Speech Screening
(a) The Board of Examiners for Speech and Language Pathologists and Audiologists interprets the word "testing" used in G.S. 90-293(7) as including speech screening.
(b) Licensed speech and language pathologists, registered speech-language pathology assistants, and unlicensed persons may perform speech screenings on the general public or specific populations provided that the individuals performing such screenings have been properly trained by a licensed speech and language pathologist in the specific screening techniques for that screening and provided that supervision of the screening program is formally vested in a licensed speech and language pathologist.
(c) The Board of Examiners for Speech and Language Pathologists and Audiologists interprets the word "supervision" in G.S. 90-301A to include the following elements:
(1) Selecting the appropriate screening instrument to be used for the target population;
(2) Providing sufficient initial and refresher training in the specific screening methods and instruments to be used to ensure that the screeners have sufficient knowledge of the screening methods, understand the limitations of the screening program, and can demonstrate proper use of the screening materials;
(3) Assuring that records are maintained describing the training received by the screeners the names of attendees, the nature of any evaluation and any referral made;
(4) Providing sufficient evaluation of the test site to ensure that the screeners are following the screening protocol; and
(5) Reviewing samples of screening records to confirm that the screening has conformed to the program standards.
History note: Authority G.S. 90-304(a)(3);
Eff. April 1, 2005;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. October 4, 2016.