21 NCAC 64 .0216 Standard of Practice for Speech and Language Pathologists
(a) The Board of Examiners for Speech and Language Pathologists and Audiologists interprets the words "reasonable degree of professional skill and care in the delivery of professional services" used in G.S. 90-301(5) to require the following actions to be performed prior to commencing treatment:
(1) Obtain a history of the patient's speech or language problem;
(2) Evaluate the patient;
(3) Identify the patient's problem and its possible causes;
(4) Establish the goals of the therapy treatment;
(5) Identify and select appropriate treatments;
(6) Make a disclosure to the patient or custodian if the treatment being recommended is known by the provider to be experimental;
(b) The Licensee shall periodically evaluate and document the patient's progress towards the treatment goals and recommend referal to other disciplines or recommend discontinuance of therapy where there has been no documented progress.
History Note: Authority G.S. 90-304(a)(3);
Eff. September 1, 2005;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. October 4, 2016.