21 NCAC 64 .1002 GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
(a) For registration, Assistants must present:
(1) evidence of successful completion of an Associate's Degree in Speech-Language Pathology Assisting from an accredited institution of higher learning, community college, or equivalent program; or
(2) evidence of successful completion of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution as well as evidence of successful completion of the following Speech-Language Assisting curriculum courses developed by the N. C. Department of Community Colleges:
Introduction to Speech-Language Pathology (SLP III or equivalent),
SLP Office Procedures (SLP 120 or equivalent),
Disorders and Treatment I (SLP 211 or equivalent),
Disorders and Treatment II (SLP 212 or equivalent),
Assistive Technology (SLP 220 or equivalent),
SLP Field Work (SLP 230 or equivalent),
SLP Field Work Seminar (SLP 231 or equivalent),
(3) a passing score on a competency test approved by the Board.
(b) Authority to approve the curriculum or the equivalent courses for speech-language pathology assistants is vested in the Board of Examiners.
(c) A Licensee, who is employed full-time (30 hours/week or more), may register to be primary supervisor of no more than two Assistants at any one time. A Licensee who is employed part-time (less than 30 hours/week) may register to supervise no more than one Assistant at any one time. The Primary Supervising Licensee shall be responsible for assuring compliance with the registration process, these rules, and with ethical standards. Secondary Supervising Licensees may also be registered to supervise the Assistant, allowing for flexibility in scheduling.
(d) The Primary Supervising Licensee must keep the Board appraised of any changes in registration information.
(1) Changes of supervising licensee(s) will require prior written approval of the Board and should be requested in writing at least 10 days prior to the effective date.
(2) Changes that do not directly relate to patient care, such as change of address, must be reported to the Board in writing within 10 business days of the effective change.
(e) The Primary Supervising Licensee shall remit to the Board an annual registration fee for the Assistant in an amount of forty dollars ($40.00).
History Note: Authority G.S. 90-298.1; 90-304(a)(3);
Eff. July 1, 1998;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. October 4, 2016.