27 NCAC 01B .0110 Secretary: Powers and Duties in Discipline and Disability Matters
The secretary will have the following powers and duties in regard to discipline and disability procedures:
(1) to receive grievances for transmittal to the counsel, to receive complaints and petitions for transmittal to the commission chairperson, and to receive affidavits of surrender of license for transmittal to the council;
(2) to issue summonses and subpoenas when so directed by the president, the chairperson of the Grievance Committee, the chairperson of the commission, or the chairperson of any hearing panel;
(3) to maintain a record and file of all grievances not dismissed by the Grievance Committee;
(4) to perform all necessary ministerial acts normally performed by the clerk of the superior court in complaints filed before the commission;
(5) to enter orders of reinstatement where petitions for reinstatement of suspended attorneys are unopposed by the counsel;
(6) to dismiss reinstatement petitions based on the petitioner's failure to comply with the rules governing the provision and transmittal of the record of reinstatement proceedings;
(7) to determine the amount of costs assessed in disciplinary proceedings by the commission.
History Note: Authority G.S. 84-22; 84-23; 84-32(c);
Readopted Eff. December 8, 1994;
Amended Eff. October 8, 2009.