27 NCAC 01D .0207 Counsel - Powers and Duties
The counsel shall have the power and duty:
(1) to initiate an investigation concerning the alleged unauthorized practice of law;
(2) to direct a letter of notice to a respondent when authorized by the chairperson of the Authorized Practice Committee;
(3) to investigate all matters involving alleged unauthorized practice of law whether initiated by the filing of a complaint or otherwise;
(4) to recommend to the chairperson of the Authorized Practice Committee that a matter be dismissed because the complaint is frivolous or falls outside the council's jurisdiction; that a letter of notice be issued; or that the matter be considered by the Authorized Practice Committee to determine whether probable cause exists;
(5) to prosecute all unauthorized practice of law proceedings before the Authorized Practice Committee and the courts;
(6) to represent the State Bar in any trial or other proceedings concerned with the alleged unauthorized practice of law;
(7) to employ assistant counsel, investigators, and other administrative personnel in such numbers as the council may from time to time authorize;
(8) to maintain permanent records of all matters processed and the disposition of such matters;
(9) to perform such other duties as the council may from time to time direct.
History Note: Authority G.S. 84-37;
Readopted Eff. December 8, 1994;
Amended Eff. February 3, 2000.