section .0900 – Procedures for THE Administrative Committee
27 NCAC 01D .0901 Transfer to Inactive Status
(a) Petition for Transfer to Inactive Status
Any member who desires to be transferred to inactive status shall file a petition with the secretary addressed to the council setting forth fully
(1) the member's name and current address;
(2) the date of the member's admission to the North Carolina State Bar;
(3) the reasons why the member desires transfer to inactive status;
(4) that at the time of filing the petition the member is in good standing having paid all membership fees, Client Security Fund assessments, late fees and costs assessed by the North Carolina State Bar, as well as all past due fees, fines and penalties owed to the Board of Continuing Legal Education and without any grievances or disciplinary complaints pending against him or her;
(5) any other matters pertinent to the petition.
(b) Conditions Upon Transfer. No member may be voluntarily transferred to disability-inactive status, retired/nonpracticing status, or emeritus pro bono status until:
(1) the member has paid all membership fees, Client Security Fund assessments, late fees, and costs assessed by the North Carolina State Bar or the Disciplinary Hearing Commission, as well as all past due fees, fines and penalties owed to the Board of Continuing Legal Education;
(2) the member acknowledges that the member continues to be subject to the Rules of Professional Conduct and to the disciplinary jurisdiction of the State Bar including jurisdiction in any pending matter before the Grievance Committee or the Disciplinary Hearing Commission; and,
(3) in the case of a member seeking emeritus pro bono status, it is determined by the Administrative Committee that the member is in good standing, is not the subject of any matter pending before the Grievance Committee or the Disciplinary Hearing Commission, and will be supervised by an active member employed by a nonprofit corporation qualified to render legal services pursuant to G.S. 84-5.1.
(c) Order Transferring Member to Inactive Status. Upon receipt of a petition which satisfies the provisions of Rule .0901(a) above, the council may, in its discretion, enter an order transferring the member to inactive status and, where appropriate, granting emeritus pro bono status. The order shall become effective immediately upon entry by the council. A copy of the order shall be mailed to the member.
History Note: Authority G.S. 84-23;
Readopted Eff. December 8, 1994;
Amended Eff. March 6, 2014; March 6, 2008; February 3, 2000; March 7, 1996.