27 NCAC 01D .1520 REGISTRATION OF SPONSORS AND PROGRAM APPROVAL
(a) Registration of Sponsors. An organization desiring to be designated as a registered sponsor of programs, or other continuing legal education activities may apply to the board for registered sponsor status. The board shall register a sponsor if it is satisfied that the sponsor's programs have met the accreditation standards set forth in Rule .1519 of this subchapter and the application requirements set forth in Rule .1603 of this subchapter.
(1) Duration of Status. Registered sponsor status shall be granted for a period of five years. At the end of the five-year period, the sponsor must apply to renew its registration pursuant to Rule .1603(b) of this subchapter.
(2) Accredited Sponsors. A sponsor that was previously designated by the board as an "accredited sponsor" shall, on the effective date of paragraph (a)(1) of this rule, be re-designated as a "registered sponsor." Each such registered sponsor shall subsequently be required to apply for renewal of registration according to a schedule to be adopted by the board. The schedule shall stagger the submission date for such applications over a three-year period after the effective date of this paragraph (a)(2).
(b) Program Approval for Registered Sponsors.
(1) Once an organization is approved as a registered sponsor, the continuing legal education programs sponsored by that organization are presumptively approved for credit; however, application must still be made to the board for approval of each program. At least 50 days prior to the presentation of a program, a registered sponsor shall file an application, on a form prescribed by the board, notifying the board of the dates and locations of presentations of the program and the sponsor's calculation of the CLE credit hours for the program.
(2) The board shall evaluate a program presented by a registered sponsor and, upon a determination that the program does not satisfy the requirements of Rule .1519, notify the registered sponsor that the program is not approved for credit. Such notice shall be sent by the board to the registered sponsor within 45 days after the receipt of the application. If notice is not sent to the registered sponsor within the 45-day period, the program shall be presumed to be approved. The registered sponsor may request reconsideration of an unfavorable accreditation decision by submitting a letter of appeal to the board within 15 days of receipt of the notice of disapproval. The decision by the board on an appeal is final.
(c) Sponsor Request for Program Approval.
(1) Any organization not designated as a registered sponsor that desires approval of a program shall apply to the board. Applicants denied approval of a program for failure to satisfy the accreditation standards in Rule .1519 of this subchapter may request reconsideration of such a decision by submitting a letter of appeal to the board within 15 days of receipt of the notice of disapproval. The decision by the board on an appeal is final.
(2) The board may at any time decline to accredit CLE programs offered by a sponsor that is not registered for a specified period of time, as determined by the board, for failure to comply with the requirements of Rule .1512, Rule .1519, and Section .1600 of this subchapter.
(d) Member Request for Program Approval. An active member desiring approval of a program that has not otherwise been approved shall apply to the board. Applicants denied approval of a program for failure to satisfy the accreditation standards in Rule .1519 of this subchapter may request reconsideration of such a decision by submitting a letter of appeal to the board within 15 days of the receipt of the notice of disapproval. The decision by the board on an appeal is final.
History Note: Authority - Order of the North Carolina Supreme Court, October 7, 1987, 318 N.C. 711;
Readopted Effective December 8, 1994;
Amendments Approved by the Supreme Court: February 27, 2003; March 3, 2005; October 7, 2010; March 6, 2014; April 5, 2018.