27 NCAC 01F .0103 REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS
As a prerequisite to being certified as a foreign legal consultant, an applicant shall:
(1) Possess the qualifications of character and general fitness requisite for an attorney and counselor at law and be of good moral character and entitled to the high regard and confidence of the public and have satisfied the requirements of Rule .0104 of this Section at the time the certificate is issued;
(2) Have been admitted to practice as an attorney, or the equivalent thereof, in a foreign country for at least five years as of the date of application for a certificate of registration;
(3) Certify in writing that he or she intends to practice in the State as a foreign legal consultant and intends to maintain an office in the State for this practice;
(4) Be at least 21 years of age;
(5) Have been actively and substantially engaged in the practice of law or a profession or occupation that requires admission to the practice of law, or the equivalent thereof, in the foreign country in which the applicant holds a license for at least five of the seven years immediately preceding the date of application for a certificate of registration and is in good standing as an attorney, or the equivalent thereof, in that country;
(6) Have filed an application as prescribed in Rule .0102 of this Section;
(7) Be at all times in good professional standing and entitled to practice in every state or territory of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia, in which the applicant has been licensed to practice law, and in every foreign country in which the applicant is admitted to the practice of law or the equivalent thereof and is not under any pending charges of misconduct. The applicant may be inactive and in good standing in any foreign country or in any state or territory of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia; and
(8) Satisfy the Bar that the foreign country in which the applicant is licensed will admit North Carolina attorneys to practice as foreign legal consultants or the equivalent thereof.
History Note: Authority G.S. 84-4;
Eff. March 7, 1996.